Thursday, February 17, 2011

Custody


with one arm I circled you       lifted your thin corrugated body over
the rocks to give you
your true weight
to the river

                                    then


watched the years vault up through you
volcanically                                          your resistance humming
like the rusted edge of a wind-rubbed bell                  memories
of the violations against you surging until your fists shot open and


you erupted screaming
as if suddenly swallowed by fire


and I sank to the bottom of my own fire                     roamed
the glowing coals         looking for shadows to shroud
your ruptured molten sanctity


I was useless                           lost in this custody

my ashes settling between the stones settled between us

my smoke following weaving your echoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment